In my blog on SAP Background Jobs- Overview, I gave an overview regarding SAP Background Jobs. With continuation to that, I will discuss about Background jobs Scheduling in SAP.
There are two ways to define and scheduling Background jobs, which are as follows:
- Using transaction SM36.
- Using Job Scheduling Wizard. (For this, we need to start Transaction SM36, and then either select Goto @ Wizard version or use the button for Job Wizard)
Please note: first approach is best option for the users having knowledge in background job scheduling, while second approach is for the users unfamiliar with SAP Background job scheduling.
- Enter SM36 in OK Code field or we need to choose CCMS -> Jobs -> Definition.
- Now we need to assign a job name to enter it in the Job Name Field.
- Then, we have to set Job’s Priority or ‘Job Class’.
- High Priority: Class A
- Medium Priority: Class B
- Low Priority: Class C
- Next, provide Target Server Field to indicate to use system load balancing.
- For the system to use system load balancing to automatically select the most efficient application server to use at the moment, so we will leave this field empty.
- Enter a specific target server to use a particular application server to run the job.
- We need specify email address using Spool list recipient button so that spool request generated by this job to be sent to somebody’s email.
- Now in start condition, we can specify when to start the job and completing the appropriate selections. To make job repeated or periodic, we need to check the box at the bottom of screen.
- In this step, we define the job’s steps by choosing Step, and then specify the ABAP program, external command, or external program to be used for each step.
- Now all we have to do is to save the fully defined job to submit it to background job processing.
- To modify, reschedule or to manipulate a job after scheduled for first time, we need to manage these from the Job Overview.
Please send us your questions, comments or assistance, and our team would be glad to assist you.
By Shreedhar Babu (on behalf of SAP Consulting Team)
SAP :: Streamlined
We offer variety of services including SAP ECC ,SAP HR,SAP BW,SAP CRM, SAP SCM,SAP BPM, Business Objects, SAP ABAP Development, SAP BASIS and SAP NetWeaver consulting. We have expertise in providing implementation,development, SAP Migration and SAP support services to SAP customers across diverse industries at a global level.
Have a question on SAP? Write to our SAP Architect.
(We promise a no-obligation consulting reply)