SAP Business Objects 4.0 is first major release of Business Objects suite by SAP which comes up with many enhancements. This release includes change in naming conventions with dawn of new reporting tools and phasing out some of old ones as well.
So here we are talking about decommissioned reporting tool Desktop Intelligence aka ‘DeskI’ which is not part of SAP BO 4.0 release. Instead Web Intelligence (Rich Client) / Interactive Analysis (new) are tools in position to take DeskI’s reporting responsibilities. Both these tools have capabilities of DeskI + WebI with latter one having even enhanced features to provide rich reporting experience. Essentially most of the core reporting capabilities is same in both tools.
SAP BO 4.0 release onwards DeskI will not be part of reporting tool’s fleet which serves as the major reason for customers to consider alternate tools for further report developments. No worry! Web Intelligence (Rich Client) is ready and capable to undertake all kind of DeskI’s reporting responsibilities providing same working environment and enhanced features to end user.
You may be wondering
- What will happen to my already In-use DeskI reports?
- Do customers need to develop those reports again in new tools?
- Will all the efforts invested in DeskI reports be lost?
- Is there any way to reuse existing reports in new tools to save development efforts?
These are a lot of genuine questions reverberating in our mind. The answer to all of your queries is migration. Existing DeskI reports can be and will be migrated to WebI, allowing you to retain your old work and efforts.
Reasons for migration
- No support for Desktop Intelligence in SAP BO 4.0
- WebI (rich client) and Interactive Analysis have enhanced features.
- Web Services integration in Interactive analysis, Online, Offline and Disconnected connection mode options.
- Either one of these tools is fully capable to serve your reporting needs. No need to go for both.
Refer to my next blog for Approach for migration in SAP BO 4.0
In case you need assistance in migration from DeskI to WebI, please contact us. Please send us your questions, comments or assistance request, and our team would be glad to assist you.
By Gopichand Panghate. (on behalf of SAP Consulting Team)
Other BO blogs: SAP BO Getting started, SAP BO BI reporting and analysis tools, SAP BO – How to migrate DeskI Reports to WebI (Interactive Analysis)
SAP :: Streamlined
Have a question on SAP? Write to our SAP Architect : AskTheArchitect@Apprisia.com
(We promise a no-obligation consulting reply)