This blog will introduce you to the world of Webdynpro ABAP (WDA). We will gradually move through introduction of WDA, its history, advantages and it’s configuration.
Webdynpro ABAP (WDA) is a standard UI technology of SAP for developing Web application UIs in the ABAP environment. It consists of runtime environment and graphical development with specific tools that are integrated into the ABAP development environment – the ABAP Workbench (transaction SE80).
Webdynpro ABAP (WDA) is available since October 2005 (SAP NetWeaver 7.0 (2004s) – Web Application Server 7.0) and is widely used by the SAP Business Suite and will continue to be the UI technology of choice for mainstream Business Suite applications (ERP, PLM, SCM, SRM, FIM).
- The use of declarative and graphical tools reduces the implementation effort.
- Web Dynpro supports a structured design process.
- Separation between layout and business data.
- Reuse and better maintainability by using components.
- The layout and navigation can be easily changed using the Web Dynpro tools.
- Stateful applications are supported – that is, if the page is changed and the required data remains intact so that you can access it at any time throughout the entire application context.
- Data transport is automated using data binding process.
- Automatic check for input.
- Automatic operation of the Web Dynpro application using the keyboard.
- User interface accessibility is supported in Webdynpro.
- Full integration in the reliable ABAP development environment.
Web Dynpro ABAP Configuration:
Before we start developing Webdynpro application, the below configuration settings has to be done properly:
1. We have to install Application server ABAP (AS ABAP).
2. ICM (Internet Communication Manager) — HTTP or HTTPS must be set in ICM. We can configure it on the initial screen of ICM monitor by selecting ‘Services’.
3. ICF (Internet Communication Framework) — ICF services must be activated if not use transaction SICF to activate the services related to WDA. Proper authorizations should be assigned to ICF server and client functions.
4. View Designer — To create layout in layout editor in the view designer we have to activate all the services in SICF for WDA.
5. SSO (Single Sign-On) — SSO must be set up on the application server.
6. FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Names) — Avoid shortened FQDN. We have to check whether the URL for WDA application contains the full domain and host name.
In case you need assistance on SAP Support Services, please contact us. Please send us your questions, comments or assistance request and our team would be glad to assist you.
By Pradipta Baral (on behalf of SAP Consulting Team)
SAP :: Streamlined
We offer variety of services including SAP ECC ,SAP HR,SAP BW,SAP CRM, SAP SCM,SAP BPM, Business Objects, SAP ABAP Development, SAP BASIS and SAP NetWeaver consulting. We have expertise in providing implementation,development, SAP Migration and SAP support services to SAP customers across diverse industries at a global level.
Have a question on SAP? Write to our SAP Architect : AskTheArchitect@Apprisia.com
(We promise a no-obligation consulting reply)