Documentation has always been one of the profound requirements of a company to succeed in long term. Whether a startup or an established corporate, unorderly, wrong sets of documentation will definitely lead to a decline.
SAP DMS is that innovative approach of SAP yet again that manages your files and folders tracking them such it gives you the most of your business.
However, before getting deeper let’s have a quick look upon what an ideal document management system can be expected to do.
A Document Management System is an application software that is engineered to track, manage and store documents while reducing paper wastage. Thus, it responds to the corporate responsibility of a greener atmosphere too.
The many document types in SAP DMS:
A document type is perhaps one of the pre-requisites in SAP DMS. Defining it allows the user to fulfill the business requirement with precision. In other words, it is the criteria that manages the pool of documents segmenting them appropriately. Thus, eases down its availability whenever the requirement arises.
There are certain distinguishing criteria like features, organizing procedures etc. that forms the type. It is language dependent while in the description of the document type.
Let’s see what its most important uses are:
Enables companies to practice full control over different functions in document management. For instance, the control of processing flow via status network.
The framework of a document type:
Ideally, a document type is an alphanumeric field in which you can enter up to three characters. Following this, in the integration process, you can easily define document types by choosing Define Document types or in SAP T-code. However, this integration process too has a number of aspects to it. Following are the majors enlisted.
- Type of number assignment and number range
- Version increment
- Field selection
- Additional fields
- Status processing
- Storage process in Knowledge provider
- Transport of original application files using ALE
As storage is an integral part of any Document management system, SAP takes special care to secure them thoroughly. This they ensure with a very creative mechanism of a unique Content Model.
A brief introduction to SAP content server:
A SAP content server is a server instance where every kind of content like scanned documents, images, multimedia files, electronics documents etc. are stored with security in association with MaxDB database or files system.
Implementation of a content server allows leveraging security of business document access. Using an HTTP interface, it not only curbs down stealth of sensitive data but also curbs down database load from the application database, in turn augments speed.
Let’s see how the architectural framework of the SAP DMS content server works:
The content server and the cache server are both components that interact with the knowledge provider. A cache is like a memory that stores copies of documents when they are accessed for the very first time. This in turn lets accessing the documents much faster due to the availability of the copies of the data in cache history.
The major features of the framework:
- User friendly: Allows easy configuration and handling usage.
- Flexible and scalable: The whole of the architecture is very flexible to meet any of the document needs irrespective of the domain in which the industry works. Again, the size of the company too never becomes a barrage between in this system.
- Create file system and database repositories: Creating a whole new file folder and repository is all now one step away from you.
- Secured and hassle-free storage: SAP DMS renders its customers with high security storage along with en extended security certification.
- Reduction in database load: Faster access of documents is hugely profited with the innovative approach of SAP for having a content server completely on its own.
- Automatic backup of stored data: SAP content server software brings in amply equipped tools that helps automatic data backup creation.
- Integrated system for better progress: With SAP’s integrated approach to SAP workflow, SAP DMS, SAP Business Workplace, Archive link etc. all business processes across variety of verticals to streamline processes.
- Easy accessibility: The multitude of options that SAP content server renders to its users is overwhelming. Starting from Windows 2000/2003/2008 and also for Unix platform, you get many options to synchronize your system for the optimum utilization of the product. If you are still warped with inhibitions whether to go with a SAP DMS system, here are the top benefits of SAP DMS that will instantly clear your mind about it.
The Many Benefits Of a SAP DMS System
- Reduction in storage spaces
- Improved security
- Improved regulatory compliance
- Easy retrieval system
- Enhanced collaboration
- Better backup and Disaster management recovery
- Intangible benefits like flexibility, competitiveness, enhanced client relations, time savings.
Apprisia, benefits each of the angle of an ideal document management system for its client body. Our experts emphasizes to adapt to the most scientific approach to understand the needs of our customers and cater to their needs in the most precise level possible. Learn how Apprisia can help you to setup SAP DMS for your SAP Program.
-Tilaksingh Bayas | SAP BASIS Consultant