LSMW (Legacy System Migration Workbench) as its name signifies is a SAP R/3 based tool which is used to transfer non-sap data into sap. Being an integrated part of SAP, this tool is free of cost to SAP’s customers and partners. This configurable tool is a cross-application component, basically used for standard SAP applications. It is preferred over other data transfer methods because of its quality, user-friendly and data consistent features.
This blog is part of series of blogs on LSMW. It describes the basic features of LSMW i.e. why it is preferred despite of many other data migration techniques.
Major features of LSMW:
Following are some of the features-
- Used to transfer large volumes of data from legacy system to sap system.
- It deals with business objects that are defined by SAP instead of dealing with individual tables.
- Has more options and technical possibilities to load and import data.
- Less or no ABAP coding required which makes it easy for functional people to work on. ABAP coding is required only in case of very complex conversions.
- Being a structured technique, actions are performed step by step.
- Data is transferred with full consistency by application of conversion rules. These conversion rules once developed are reusable. Moreover, these are flexible and can be customized as per need.
- Data mapping in LSMW is done by SAP itself implicitly.
- Maintains data consistency and quality
- High Time and Cost saving
- Very flexible an user-friendly
- Maintains efficiency even in case of large volume of data.
- Can load and import data but cannot export it.
- Upload rate slower in some cases.
for more information on LSMW, refer my blogs on SAP LSMW-Introduction and SAP LSMW-Usage Scenario.
In case you need assistance in LSMW, please contact us. Please send us your questions, comments or assistance request, and our team would be glad to assist you.
By PB Reddy (on behalf of SAP Consulting Team)
SAP :: Streamlined
We offer variety of services including SAP ECC ,SAP HR,SAP BW,SAP CRM, SAP SCM,SAP BPM, Business Objects, SAP ABAP Development, SAP BASIS and SAP NetWeaver consulting. We have expertise in providing implementation,development, SAP Migration and SAP support services to SAP customers across diverse industries at a global level.
Have a question on SAP? Write to our SAP Architect : AskTheArchitect@Apprisia.com
(We promise a no-obligation consulting reply)