SAP R/3 Document Management System (SAP DMS) is a cross platform application of SAP ECC providing electronic document and content management capability. SAP R/3 Document Management System (DMS) is integrated in SAP so we can connect various documents to SAP system applications and Objects.
We can integrate with external systems like :
- computer-aided design (CAD) interface,
- SAP ArchiveLink
- Microsoft word, excel, visio documents
Using SAP R/3 Document Management System (SAP DMS), we can automate the entire life cycle of a document:
- document creation
- document storage
- document access
- document update.
Each document can be accessed immediately from any computer in the corporate network.
SAP DMS provides various functionalities such as:
- maintaining data consistency
- revision control
- integrated workflow capabilities
- full text retrieval and search functionality
- Linkage with SAP business objects such as Bill of Materials, material masters (parts), process plans, engineering change masters, and production orders.
SAP DMS supports archiving and SAP classification schemes as well as third-party archiving repositories.
Why use Document Management System (DMS)
In any organization, maintaining centralized documentation (documents may be technical, business, and administrative) and document accessibility by anyone such as management, internal departments or end user has to be provided.
Conventional methods of document management cope with various challenges like document redundancy, selecting / updating wrong document version, maintaining document life cycle, all changes and the history of the document, document safety, unauthorized access to confidential documents, improper distribution of files to end user, access to these documents from user terminal.
Why SAP Document Management System (SAP DMS) –
- Comprehensive Functionality: The SAP R/3 Document Management System (DMS) is the best solution for all above mentioned challenges and make it very easy to maintain documentation up-to-date, with quality, correct versions, as referring correct version of document is very important in many manufacturing industries
- Streamline: SAP R/3 Document Management cut down information paths and helps in to reduce access time, reduces print copy pre-work, distribution costs for documents.
- Store various document types: SAP DMS facilitates storing and management of electronic documents, various types of documents like CAD models and drawings, Office files, images, multi-media files, and any other electronic files that should be stored in a secure environment.
- Integrate with SAP Business Workflow: We can also integrate SAP R/3 Document Management System (DMS) and SAP Business Workflow® to trigger different types of work flow processes e.g. if there is any new or change in document, or before releasing of document to everybody we can introduce approval process of document release.
- Version control and Search: SAP R/3 Document Management System (DMS) take care of version and revision control, full text retrieval and search functionality as well as we can
- Attach document to standard R/3 business objects
- Purchase Order
- Production Order etc.
- Archiving: SAP R/3 Document Management System (DMS) supports SAP archiving as well as third-party archiving repositories.
- Secure access: Stored Documents in SAP R/3 Document Management System (DMS) are protected from any unauthorized access, SAP Authorization concept in integrated and we can give different types of authorizations to access documents, these documents are stored in the SAP database, in file systems or in external archives. If we need to store large number of documents then it is recommended to store those on external server rather in SAP database.
In case you need assistance on Document Management System, please contact us. Please send us your questions, comments or assistance request, and our team would be glad to assist you.
Please send us your questions, comments or assistance, and our team would be glad to assist you.
By Dipak Khatavkar. (on behalf of SAP Consulting Team)
SAP :: Streamlined
We offer variety of services including SAP ECC ,SAP HR,SAP BW,SAP CRM, SAP SCM,SAP BPM, Business Objects, SAP ABAP Development, SAP BASIS and SAP NetWeaver consulting. We have expertise in providing implementation,development, SAP Migration and SAP support services to SAP customers across diverse industries at a global level.
Have a question on SAP? Write to our SAP Architect.
(We promise a no-obligation consulting reply)