There is no doubt that setting up a business is complex. However, what is even more intricate is the ever changing dynamics that a business framework has to gift its people. However, curbing down the tireless job load by some percentage is the web services. But there is a critical point to make in the context. Choosing web service, and choosing right is important to any organization. It has enough potency to make or break a business system, especially if your business is at a tender age and plans expansion.
SAP Web Services has made sure that the route to business systems go smooth for their customers. Let’s start with understanding web services better!
Need Help to implement web services? Ask our experts now.
What is a web service?
A web service can ideally be defined as independent modular self-describing application function or service. On the very basis of XML standards, this application function can be described, made available, located or called using the internet protocols. Each of them thus is endowed with a particular piece of functionality that can be used.
Who is a web service provider?
Usually an entity who aids to provide web services to a business system is termed to be a service provider. The provider is usually seen to have a corresponding XML-based description of the web service in the WSDL document. Thus, on the basis of the HTTP transport protocol, SOAP is established as the quasi-standard access protocol.
The process of publishing web service.
The process of publishing of a web service is taken care by the service provider. The service provider transmits information about itself and a description of the offered service to the services registry. A service register can be defined as a type of yellow page for web services. Along with other data, it also provides information on calling the web service.
The standard register used is the UDDI services registry. SAP provides a public UDDI server which can also be called by an ABAP client as a service registry.
Web service consumption.
Ideally, the user of a web service is called service consumer. Mostly, the service consumer happens to be an application that accesses the web service. The application obtains the necessary information for this from the service description.
ABAP Web Services: General overview
SAP caters to provide its customers with web services in an ABAP surrounding. It has designed an architecture and a set of tools for creating web services and related objects. For doing so, existing BAPIs or remote-enabled function modules both can equally achieve it. Besides, you can also opt for developing new web services in the object navigator of SAP netweaver AS for ABAP. ABAP web services can be used for communication between SAP systems and between SAP and non-SAP systems.
Learn How to Create SAP ABAP Web Service today.
Development of web services
An ABAP web service can be created by utilizing ABAP workbench. However, it follows a series of steps to be taken.
- Web service providers can be created from existing RFC modules or from WSDL documents. Further, they can be modelled in the enterprise services repository or directly in the ABAP backend.
- Web service consumers creates a consumer proxy that encapsulates communication. It also takes charge over the control of the technical processes.
- Integrated system set ups are created by aligning and grouping interactions on logical levels. However to do this, semantic contracts that are semantic in nature are put up first. This defines the interactions taking place between communication partners. Furthermore, it also allows to create more than one definition of contracts to bind both the parties.
Web services and SOAMANAGER
SAP web services can be configured with the help of SOAMANAGER for a system whose availability is local in nature.
- Technical configuration: Installs the basic SOA manager for a local system.
- Semantic addressing with IBCs: This feature sets up addresses on the basis of business application entities, represented by IBC code numbers.
- Configuration of service providers and consumers: Here, it serves customized set-ups. The whole configuration is done keeping in mind the particular business niche and environment to meet its needs for both the service and consumers.
- Publish services: This takes care that services registry, abiding configuration publication rules, publishing service definitions all are in line with each other.
- Accessing and testing service: This feature checks the proper functioning of a service.
- Logs and traces: This manages and keeps track of logs and traces for web service provider and consumer calls.
- Monitor: This tracks errors in message exchange, if any.
Operating web services
To use web services with web service reliable messaging, the consumer needs to have the web service runtime pre-configured.
Apprisia takes special care to cater to distribution and services to each of the services with extensive personalization. Our web service experts assist you with the services that are cutting-edge and perfect fit for your organization. Streamline your business teaming with Apprisia today!
Mohit Sharma | Senior Associate Consultant | SAP Practice