Payroll consists of different phases which take place one after the other. This is controlled by payroll areas and payroll control records. In this blog, we explain the high level steps for the payroll execution process in SAP HR HCM.
Some basic settings must be made in Customizing to be able to run payroll in the SAP HR HCM System.
- A period parameter and a date modifier are assigned to each payroll area. The period parameter determines whether payroll is run monthly, quarterly, weekly or for several weeks.
- Payroll periods must be generated for each combination of period parameters and date modifiers assigned to a payroll area.
- Date modifier links the additional date types with a payroll calendar.
- Control record must be created for every payroll area. This control record controls the individual stages of payroll.
A control record must be created in Customizing for each payroll area before it can be used.To Maintain Personnel Control Record use transaction PA03.
The payroll control record has the following functions:
- It locks the personnel numbers, for which payroll should be run, so that master data cannot be changed which might affect payroll data when payroll is being run.
- If the master data for the personnel number is being changed for which payroll is run, it locks the payroll for that time, so that nobody can run the payroll during this time
- You can also get information on what is the next payroll period for which regular payroll should be run, up to what date is retroactive accounting carried out and what status does the payroll currently have.
When payroll is run master data and time data changes are not permitted.Also payroll must not be run during master data maintenance. This can be controlled by payroll control record.
Phases available during payroll run:
If the function Release Payroll is selected from the menu, it locks the personnel number attached to payroll area under consideration. Thus, it will not allow any changes to infotypes for this personnel number. Though changes that affect future are still permitted. This function must be executed before starting payroll.
If Check Result is selected, it doesn’t allow you to start payroll for the payroll area concerned. This way, you can check the payroll result, as nobody can change the payroll result.
If Corrections is selected, lock on master data and time data records for the selected payroll area are released. You can make changes in infotypes for personnel numbers having selected payroll area.
Sometimes personnel numbers are rejected during payroll run because of incorrect data. This data can be corrected by selecting Corrections. After this select release the payroll and this locks the personnel records again. Then, Start payroll again to run payroll for these corrected personnel numbers. You can get the list of personnel numbers whose payroll have been rejected due to incorrect data and their personal data is changes in correction phase in a Matchcode W.
If Exit Payroll is selected, it releases infotypes and locks payroll area for payroll run. Payroll can be exited only if all personnel numbers have been processed successfully.
Please send us your questions, comments or assistance, and our team would be glad to assist you.
By Abhishek Khadelwal (on behalf of SAP Consulting Team)
SAP :: Streamlined
We offer variety of services including SAP ECC ,SAP HR,SAP BW,SAP CRM, SAP SCM,SAP BPM, Business Objects, SAP ABAP Development, SAP BASIS and SAP NetWeaver consulting. We have expertise in providing implementation,development, SAP Migration and SAP support services to SAP customers across diverse industries at a global level.
Have a question on SAP? Write to our SAP Architect.
(We promise a no-obligation consulting reply)