SAP Instance consolidation is merging of two or more SAP instances into one i.e. a merger of SAP clients that reside on the various SAP instances. It impacts related environments –development, test, and training environments.
At Apprisia,our SAP experts follow the best approach to integrate and merge the SAP databases from different clients into one.We follow the standard approach during instance consolidation over different environment.
In this blog, we present the high level approach and implementation phases for SAP Instance consolidation.
SAP Instance Consolidation is normally comprised of three phases:
- Opportunity Assessment– The SAP Instance Consolidation Opportunity Assessment phase provides a high-level sizing of the cost savings and cost avoidance potential and identifies key operational changes that must be considered for a SAP Instance Consolidation project.
- Blueprint phase – The SAP Instance Consolidation Blueprint phase provides a project plan of how to move from an existing multiple instance environment to a consolidated fewer instance environment. This includes consolidation strategy development, tasks and milestones, and implementation project plan such as resource requirements, milestones and cost estimates.
- Implementation Phase – The SAP Instance Consolidation Implementation phase comprises a significant number of tasks and activities. Within this phase, activities are performed to design, test and implement the core server and storage infrastructure and migrate SAP data with functionality to the new consolidated instance.
The implementation phase is the most critical one as it is when actual transfer/migration of entities is carried out and we come across errors related to transport of objects.
Following are some of the challenges faced from SAP ABAP point of view.
- It may happen that different clients have some objects with exactly the same name but different functionality. In this case, in one client we can rename those objects and assign a transport request and transport them to avoid conflict.
- If structures of some standard tables are enhanced, system will give error during client copy. Hence, we need to identify those tables/structures and enhance them the same way in other clients.
- Another problem is for the client independent tables; the customizing data cannot be moved by creating a transport request. We need to do the configuration and customization manually in the system.
- User-exits and other enhancements: Coding is to be done manually in the user-exits.
Please send us your questions, comments or assistance, and our team would be glad to assist you.
By Mahesh Janugade (on behalf of SAP Consulting Team)
SAP :: Streamlined
We offer variety of services including SAP ECC ,SAP HR,SAP BW,SAP CRM, SAP SCM,SAP BPM, Business Objects, SAP ABAP Development, SAP BASIS and SAP NetWeaver consulting. We have expertise in providing implementation,development, SAP Migration and SAP support services to SAP customers across diverse industries at a global level.
Have a question on SAP? Write to our SAP Architect.
(We promise a no-obligation consulting reply)