SAP Adobe Interactive forms are an integral mechanism for interacting with the end user for displaying and accepting business data. In this blog, we would discuss one of the suitable use cases for offline scenario. The Adobe Interactive Offline scenario can use email for sending adobe forms in email attachments.
The PDF is very often sent independently via a regular mail using Offline scenario of adobe interactive form. User can now automatically send business documents such as an invoice or a purchase order to suppliers or customers.
Business Scenario – Create Purchase Requisition
When an employee orders a material, he first creates a purchase requisition and then, the purchasing department approves the order of requested material. In the first step, the user enters the valid Material ID of the item, Plant ID, Required Quantity and Delivery date in the PDF form.
In the second step, the Approver of purchasing department checks his mail box and parse the attachment of requested order using WebDynpro application .He can enter further data required to set a valid purchase requisition. Then he creates the purchase requisition, which is supported by the enterprise service.
After the request for purchase requisition is created successful in the backend, a Purchase Requisition ID is assigned to the purchase requisition. This ID is used for creating Purchase Order.
- In this scenario we want to use the PDF as a data input screen in offline mode. For instance, we want to send a purchase requisition, which must be filled by some user, and then sent back to the system.
- The PDF data is sent by email in XML format as attachment.
- The recipient of attachment parses the actual data and uploads in the system for further processing.
Benefits of the PDF Form
This scenario offers a lot of advantages for the external user:
- He doesn’t need an SAP user and no online interaction with SAP system is required.
- Most of the users are well acquaintance with PDF and has Adobe Reader, so no training time is required.
- User enters data without errors, due to powerful scripting (java script & form Calc)integrated in the interactive PDF ,which saves time.
- User can save the form in his local machine, print it, archive it etc.
- Developer does not need an application to embed the form, so no additional servers are required.
- Using Adobe life Cycle Designer a Purchase Requisition Form can be generated with appropriate fields like Material ID, Quantity, Material Description, Delivery date etc.
- Use proper validation for input fields using java script provided in the interactive form by ADOBE.
- Use ‘Submit by Email’ button and specify email address and Subject in the object palette.
- Use java mail API to read the mailbox and get attachment.
- Parse the attachment using XML parser (DOM parser).
- Display the parsed data in WebDynpro for further processing.
Note: An SAP backend can also extract the XML data directly from a PDF, with the help of the PDFObject API.
Creating Purchase Requisition
- Call web service to create Purchase Requisition on the basis of Material ID.
- The generated Purchase Requisition ID confirms the created Requisition and prompt user to use the ID for creating Purchase Order.
Please send us your questions, comments or assistance, and our team would be glad to assist you.
By Moreshwar Thawkar (on behalf of SAP Consulting Team)
SAP :: Streamlined
We offer variety of services including SAP ECC ,SAP HR,SAP BW,SAP CRM, SAP SCM,SAP BPM, Business Objects, SAP ABAP Development, SAP BASIS and SAP NetWeaver consulting. We have expertise in providing implementation,development, SAP Migration and SAP support services to SAP customers across diverse industries at a global level.
Have a question on SAP? Write to our SAP Architect.
(We promise a no-obligation consulting reply)