What is SSO ?
Single Sign On is a key feature of SAP Enterprise Portal (SAP NetWeaver Portal – SAP EP) which is used to provide access across systems with single login id-password. Here the user is authenticated once and then user can access other systems through portal. This authenticates the user for all the applications they have been given rights to and eliminates further logon prompts when they switch applications during a particular session.
SSO for External Usage:
In my previous blog I have explained about SSO to SAP system. Here we will discuss about SSO between SAP EP and non SAP external applications.
Any of the following options can be selected depending on the requirements.
- Using Dynamic Link Library SAPSSOEXT: The SAPSSOEXT library allows non-SAP applications to verify SAP logon tickets and extract the user ID from the logon ticket. The library has a JNI Java interface and a COM (Windows) interface. It can be downloaded from SAP Service Marketplace.
- Using Web Server Filter: This is an extension of SAPSSOEXT and can be used for SSO with Web-based applications that support authentication with a HTTP header variable. The filter verifies the logon ticket using the public-key certificate for the logon tickets and then extracts the name of the authenticated user from the logon ticket and writes it into the HTTP header.
Some of the supported Web servers are:
- Apache Web Server
- Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS)
- Sun Java System Web Server
- Using Web Server Filter for Windows Server 2003: This can be used for Microsoft Web-based application. The filter securely identifies the user through the SAP logon ticket and requests a Kerberos ticket from Active Directory on behalf of that user which is then used for SSO to a Microsoft Web-based application.
E.g. SSO between SAP EP and to Outlook Web Access can be done by this method.
Please send us your questions, comments or assistance, and our team would be glad to assist you.
By Sreedhar Babu. (on behalf of SAP Consulting Team)
SAP :: Streamlined
We offer variety of services including SAP ECC ,SAP HR,SAP BW,SAP CRM, SAP SCM,SAP BPM, Business Objects, SAP ABAP Development, SAP BASIS and SAP NetWeaver consulting. We have expertise in providing implementation,development, SAP Migration and SAP support services to SAP customers across diverse industries at a global level.
Have a question on SAP? Write to our SAP Architect.
(We promise a no-obligation consulting reply)