SAP products viz. Business Intelligence (SAP BW), Customer Relationship Management (SAP CRM), Supplier Relationship Management (SAP SRM), Business Objects (SAP BO), SAP Portal (ESS/MSS) and others were either already web based or later made web enabled. Many times, ECC customers are faced with a common question – How to access SAP anytime anywhere from a browser, without installing anything on the workstation? ITS, BSP, Webdynpros, Web service, Java/NET Connector etc are some of the options SAP Netweaver provides as a development technology and runtime environment for SAP applications, either standard or custom, so that they can be accessed via a browser.
This blog is a part of 6 blog series on Web Enable SAP and here we will discuss the 5th option for web enable SAP.
Options for web enabling are:
- ITS – Internet Transaction Server
- BSP – Business Server Pages
- ABAP Webdynpro
- Java Webdynpro
- ASP/JSP/.NET /Perl/Other Web development technology
- Creating a web service inside SAP
Let us briefly try to understand the 5th option:
ASP/JSP/.NET /Pearl/Other Web development technology:
We also have the option of using ASP/JSP and other web development technology. However in such cases efforts are required on both the sides i.e. Non-SAP and SAP. If we are developing a web page in ASP, then the screen elements would be developed in ASP but the actual functionality of getting data from SAP or saving data in SAP needs to be developed inside SAP in the form of RFC enabled function module or a web service. This function module or web service would then be called from inside the ASP page.
- In terms of performance, technologies viz. ASP/JSP/Pearl are faster and consume less network bandwidth.
- Skillset for these technologies is comparatively easily available hence the cost of development is also lowered.
- The look and feel of the web screens is more simpler, light weight and user friendly, as compared to the sophisticated screen elements of ABAP and Java Webdynpro.
- Since we cannot use ABAP syntax/logic inside the Java Webdynpro, we necessarily have to create or use a RFC enabled function module in SAP, and call it from inside the Java Webdynpro. Hence this adds to the development efforts.
- The ASP/JSP team and ABAP team need to fix on the design/interface/RFCs and may need to frequently co-ordinate in case there are any changes.
- Promote to Production for the front-end i.e. ASP/JSP is not integrated with SAP, and hence needs to be separately taken care of, in synchronization with the transport of ABAP objects.
Please send us your questions, comments or assistance, and our team would be glad to assist you.
By Sareeka Bangar (on behalf of SAP Consulting Team)
SAP :: Streamlined
We offer variety of services including SAP ECC ,SAP HR,SAP BW,SAP CRM, SAP SCM,SAP BPM, Business Objects, SAP ABAP Development, SAP BASIS and SAP NetWeaver consulting. We have expertise in providing implementation,development, SAP Migration and SAP support services to SAP customers across diverse industries at a global level.
Have a question on SAP? Write to our SAP Architect.
(We promise a no-obligation consulting reply)