SAP products viz. Business Intelligence (SAP BW), Customer Relationship Management (SAP CRM), Supplier Relationship Management (SAP SRM), Business Objects (SAP BO), SAP Portal (ESS/MSS) and others were either already web based or later made web enabled. Many times, ECC customers are faced with a common question – How to access SAP anytime anywhere from a browser, without installing anything on the workstation? ITS, BSP, Webdynpros, Web service, Java/NET Connector etc are some of the options SAP Netweaver provides as a development technology and runtime environment for SAP applications, either standard or custom, so that they can be accessed via a browser.
This blog is a part of 6 blog series on Web Enable SAP and here we will discuss the 3rd option for web enable SAP.
Options for web enabling are:
- ITS – Internet Transaction Server
- BSP – Business Server Pages
- ABAP Webdynpro
- Java Webdynpro
- ASP/JSP/.NET /Perl/Other Web development technology
- Creating a web service inside SAP
Let us briefly try to understand the 3rd option:
This is SAP’s proprietary technology and is contained in standard ECC server. Applications and web pages can be built using ABAP webdynpro. It is based on MVC framework (Model View Controller). We can develop ABAP Webdynpros using transaction code SE80. We can use standard ABAP syntax inside the logic of webdynpro. As compared to screens rendered via ITS, Abap Webdynpro screen elements are more user friendly and have the standard web look and feel. Except for standard SAPGUI, no separate installation is required on front-end for development.
- Since ABAP Webdynpro is MVC based, they are more preferred and recommended over BSP.
- There are no standard ABAP Webdynpros available for SAP standard functionality. So, additional development and testing efforts are required for each functionality we require to web enable.
- Comparatively BSPs are light weight when it comes to network traffic and performance.
Please send us your questions, comments or assistance, and our team would be glad to assist you.
By Mahesh Janugade (on behalf of SAP Consulting Team)
SAP :: Streamlined
We offer variety of services including SAP ECC ,SAP HR,SAP BW,SAP CRM, SAP SCM,SAP BPM, Business Objects, SAP ABAP Development, SAP BASIS and SAP NetWeaver consulting. We have expertise in providing implementation,development, SAP Migration and SAP support services to SAP customers across diverse industries at a global level.
Have a question on SAP? Write to our SAP Architect.
(We promise a no-obligation consulting reply)