SAP products viz. Business Intelligence (SAP BW), Customer Relationship Management (SAP CRM), Supplier Relationship Management (SAP SRM), Business Objects (SAP BO), SAP Portal (ESS/MSS) and others were either already web based or later made web enabled. Many times, ECC customers are faced with a common question – How to access SAP anytime anywhere from a browser, without installing anything on the workstation? ITS, BSP, Webdynpros, Web service, Java/NET Connector etc are some of the options SAP Netweaver provides as a development technology and runtime environment for SAP applications, either standard or custom, so that they can be accessed via a browser.
This blog is a part of 6 blog series on Web Enable SAP and here we will discuss the 2nd option for web enable SAP.
Options for web enabling are:
- ITS – Internet Transaction Server
- BSP – Business Server Pages
- ABAP Webdynpro
- Java Webdynpro
- ASP/JSP/.NET /Perl/Other Web development technology
- Creating a web service inside SAP
Let us briefly try to understand the 2nd option:
BSP(Business Server Pages):
Just like one can develop web pages in ASP, JSP, .NET etc, similarly SAP has provided its own technology called Business Server Pages (BSP). This technology is already contained in standard ECC server. We can develop web pages containing HTML tags and ABAP syntax inside it, much similar to the server page technology. These pages can be then accessed using a browser. However for standard transactions like creating purchase order, creating goods receipt, posting FI document etc, there are no standard BSPs available. Hence new BSP pages need to be developed for those transactions and any business functionality which is required to be web enabled. We can develop BSP using transaction code SE80.
- BSP is very much similar to the conventional server page technology, so anybody familiar with little ABAP and HTML/ASP/JSP can quickly develop BSP applications.
- As compared to screens rendered via ITS, BSP screen elements are more user friendly and have the standard web look and feel.
- It is light weight and consumes less network bandwidth as compared to ITS technology.
- There are no BSP pages/applications available for SAP standard functionality. So, additional development and testing efforts are required for each functionality we require to web enable.
Please send us your questions, comments or assistance, and our team would be glad to assist you.
By Abhishek Khandelwal (on behalf of SAP Consulting Team)
SAP :: Streamlined
We offer variety of services including SAP ECC ,SAP HR,SAP BW,SAP CRM, SAP SCM,SAP BPM, Business Objects, SAP ABAP Development, SAP BASIS and SAP NetWeaver consulting. We have expertise in providing implementation,development, SAP Migration and SAP support services to SAP customers across diverse industries at a global level.
Have a question on SAP? Write to our SAP Architect.
(We promise a no-obligation consulting reply)